Thursday, February 2, 2012

Punxsutawney Phil Day

I miss my Dad today. No matter where I was on February 2nd, I could always count on a message from my him wishing me a Happy Punxsutawney Phil Day. He was anxious to inform me whether the groundhog had seen his shadow or not.

Tomorrow marks twenty three years since his passing at the ever younger age of only 54.  There are so many things I miss about him. But some of the things I long most for are miraculously given to me in the twinkle of a child's eyes, or the smirk on one of their faces. It could be in the song one might sing, or the witty comment another pipes up with. His love of life, and hope for the future has somehow emerged in my children's lives. He did hard things and so do they. He overcame seemingly insurmountable obstacles in the same way I see these guys tackle similar trials.

There have been many times that I have wished he were here to see a graduation, or be here for a wedding, welcome a new grandchild, bid farewell to a missionary, and a hundred thousand other things that are happening all the time. And sometimes when things seem extra hard it's always nice to remember the influence that he's had on my life, and his legacy that lives on in each of us.



Like today for instance; late this afternoon I received a text from Hannah.
One simple line, "Happy Punxsutawney Phil day Mom."















Here are some of my favorite lines from Groundhog Day. I am sure my dad would appreciate them as much as I do.










(Phil) "There is no way that this winter is *ever* going to end as long as this groundhog keeps seeing his shadow. I don't see any other way out. He's got to be stopped. And I have to stop him."


(Phil) "When Chekhov saw the long winter, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of hope. Yet we know that winter is just another step in the cycle of life. But standing here among the people of Punxsutawney and basking in the warmth of their hearths and hearts, I couldn't imagine a better fate than a long and lustrous winter." 


(Phil) "This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype. Groundhog Day used to mean something in this town. They used to pull the hog out, and they used to eat it. You're hypocrites, all of you!" 

                                         HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY




3 comments:

  1. Interesting, I miss my dad too and my mom and others - maybe others more than others. Enjoyed reading your blogs. You have a creative mind and a good way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the time is coming.......... sooner than later..... when I will have to bid my parents goodbye for a time and I am NOT looking forward to it!

    Love the movie Groundhog Day. :) It has many memorable quotes. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it has been that long. I was only 8 when he passed but I do have fond memories of him at christmas. I know you have wonderful family, but if you need to talk you can call me my dear Aunt Lynn. Ps. I LOVE groundhog day, I watched it yesterday.

    ReplyDelete